Why samba-client not installed by default?

Basil Mohamed Gohar basilgohar at librevideo.org
Wed Dec 19 17:16:18 UTC 2012

On 12/19/2012 12:00 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 10:58 AM, drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> maybe, but you have to read manuals all the time and can not
>>> expect to have anything working out-of-the-box, there are
>>> even people not owning a printer at all
>> I disagree you should not have to read manuals all the time to do
>> basic tasks like printing.
>>
>> @Ozan: File a bug and ask for the dep to be added.
> I think printing should be something that just works as well but there
> is a significant space cost to adding samba-client:
>
> # yum info samba-client
> Loaded plugins: auto-update-debuginfo, changelog, presto, refresh-packagekit,
>               : remove-with-leaves, rpm-warm-cache
> Installed Packages
> Name        : samba-client
> Arch        : x86_64
> Epoch       : 2
> Version     : 3.6.9
> Release     : 96.fc17.1
> Size        : 39 M
> Repo        : installed
> From repo   : updates
> Summary     : Samba client programs
> URL         : http://www.samba.org/
> License     : GPLv3+ and LGPLv3+
> Description : The samba-client package provides some SMB/CIFS clients to
>             : complement the built-in SMB/CIFS filesystem in Linux. These
>             : clients allow access of SMB/CIFS shares and printing to SMB/CIFS
>             : printers.
>
> Perhaps there's a way to support SMB printing without 39MB of
> additional disk usage?
>
> Richard
Alternatively, maybe the dialog that searches for network printers can
offer the option to install the necessary packages when first loaded, if
the user has a way to indicate that their particular network printer was
not found.  More work, possibly the best compromise.  I imagine this
behaving in much the same was as searching for and installing drivers
for printers would within the very same user-facing application.