Why samba-client not installed by default?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Dec 20 21:08:27 UTC 2012

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 08:54:19PM +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > as example the colord crap pulls X11 deps on
> > servers because you install Imagemagick which is a COMMANDLINE
> > tool in the first front
> It does? That's a bug if that's true. colord is the simple mapping
> daemon and doesn't know anything about X. File a bug.
> Ohh, and protip. If you call colord crap in the bug report I'm very
> unlikely to read it.

Colord is awesome. It and associated tools make my life on Linux
laptop/desktop machines much better. So much better that I'll willing to go
with the rest of Gnome 3 around it. :)

Anyway, it is true that there is some dep chain from installing ImageMagick
on a bare server which brings in colord, libX11, libwayland-client and
-server, and more. However, I don't think colord is to blame -- it just adds
color-filesystem, lcms2, libgudev1m, libgusbm, libusbx, and
shared-color-profiles -- all to be expected. (And polkit + js, which was
already installed on this system but technically didn't "need" to be, for
whatever value of need.)