Why samba-client not installed by default?

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Dec 20 21:13:56 UTC 2012

On Dec 20, 2012, at 10:41 AM, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:

> Le Mer 19 décembre 2012 20:26, Chris Murphy a écrit :
>>

>> If you have a b&w display and only b&w printers, then colord would still
>> enable something useful. But I suspect you have at least one color
>> display.
>
> colord is not just 'colors'. Calibration includes white/black points and
> gray depth

Which is why I mentioned it's useful without color.

colord builds display profiles from display EDID, so you can get better results than doing nothing (no conversions) by in fact doing nothing (no user involvement); you don't need a colorimeter to benefit from this, although you'll probably get even better results if you do have one.

And everybody who uses a web browser or prints to a printer will ultimately be better served by colord. It is not just for pros or some esoteric use cases.

Chris Murphy