package reviews: new Release for every update

Mamoru TASAKA mtasaka at fedoraproject.org
Sun Dec 30 10:42:02 UTC 2012

Ken Dreyer wrote, at 12/30/2012 01:01 AM +9:00:
> I noticed our package review process doesn't explicitly say "After you
> make an update to the package, bump the 'Release' number and post a
> new link each time." This is a popular convention, but it doesn't seem
> to be formally documented.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_Review_Process
>
> Should this guidance be part of our instructions?
>
> - Ken

It is actually documented already:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:FrequentlyMadeMistakes

QUOTE:
Increase the "Release" tag every time you upload a new package to avoid confusion. The reviewer and other interested parties probably still have older versions of your SRPM lying around to check what has changed between the old and new packages; those get confused when the revision didn't change.

Regards,
Mamoru