prefered way of configuring X11 keyboard layouts in F18

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sun Dec 30 16:53:01 UTC 2012

Le Lun 24 décembre 2012 12:56, Lennart Poettering a écrit :
> On Fri, 21.12.12 16:11, Adam Williamson (awilliam at redhat.com) wrote:

>> If I have everything right, anaconda is offering a keymap list that it
>> derives from xkb. I'm having trouble counting precisely how many layouts
>> it offers, but it looks to be definitely over 400.
>>
>> According to 'localectl list-keymaps', systemd-localed has mappings for
>> 209 keymaps.
>
> Well, that's simply a fact that the console keymaps are much fewer than
> the X keymaps, but that's not really an issue of localed/systemd, but
> rather a general shortcoming of the classic console keymap system.

It's not a shortcoming of the classic console keymap system

It's a shortcoming of using a separate layout source for the console.

Writing layouts is *hard*. The syntax is unfriendly. You spend hours
fool-proofing a design and then users ask you to move some symbols or
Unicode.org finally standardises a symbol that your language needed before
but that was not available and you need to rework the definition files
without introducing new bugs.

Nobody is going to do this work twice if there is a way to avoid it (and
if you try to do it twice you will introduce discrepancies users will
complain about).

Debian/Ubuntu provided a way to avoid work duplication a long time ago.
Ergo, no one is seriously working on the kbd database anymore. No amount
of mapping lists is going to change that. 10 years of RH∕Fedora refusing
to acknowledge this situation didn't bring layout authors back kbd-side.
To get correct i18n layouts in kbd you need to source them from xkb-config
one way or another or get someone to write all the missing kbd layout defs
(and I posit he'll either go insane halfway through or do it through a
script like debian because doing it manually is a Sisyphean task)

Please remember layouts were the only bit hairy enough Xfree86.org and
X.org agreed to continue collaborating on them when they split.

> Also,
> it's hardly a regression in comparison to older Fedora...

i18n has moved a long way since the 90's. Being stuck in the past may be
not a regression but it's nothing to be proud of.

--
Nicolas Mailhot