Unity For Fedora (As in OpenSUSE or Arch)

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Wed Feb 1 12:01:12 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-01-28 at 00:03 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
> > As far as I'm aware, Canonical were reasonably good about proposing the
> > libindicator patches for upstream inclusion, but many upstream projects
> > - especially those that are part of GNOME - weren't exactly rushing to
> > adopt the patches. I think Canonical did try to implement libindicator
> > support as a plugin for apps with sufficently sophisticated plugin
> > frameworks, which obviously helps.
>
> That's really GNOME's fault. :-( Canonical explicitly designed
> libappindicator (which is the library applications are expected to use, it
> uses libindicator behind the scenes; there's also libindicate which is for
> communication apps to notify new messages and such, confusing, isn't it?) to
> be interoperable with KDE's status notifier spec, and thus applications
> supporting libappindicator will also integrate better into the KDE Plasma
> workspaces than applications still stuck on the legacy XEmbed-based system
> tray protocol and/or using a GNOME-only gnome-shell extension. But GNOME is
> giving the finger to cross-desktop protocols and refusing to implement them.

GNOME never gave an opinion on the spec, we gave an opinion on the
library, which was really just a huge pile of bugs (I know, they patched
a bunch of the applications I maintain, and I get to receive a large
number of crashers because of it).

> It's too bad that our maintainers for the affected packages are often one
> and the same as the GNOME maintainers and thus Fedora is mostly siding with
> GNOME on this and refusing to carry those patches, hurting all non-GNOME
> desktops, not just Unity.

I refuse to carry the patches because libappindicator is far too buggy
to be widely deployed.