Unity For Fedora (As in OpenSUSE or Arch)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Feb 2 00:00:30 UTC 2012

On 2012-02-01 11:39, Florian Müllner wrote:

> Because the "integrated experience" means that there is a fixed set
> of
> system items with a defined order. Extensions can be used to "hack"
> the
> intended experience (which includes adding "non-official" icons in
> the
> top bar), but it's nothing we want normal applications to do.
> Applications are encouraged to interact with the message tray (== the
> autohiding bottom panel) via freedesktop notifications (yay,
> cross-desktop! ;-)

Yay cross-desktop maybe, but still a freaking disaster from a UI point
of view, and the only thing I really dislike about GNOME 3 (when I was
forced to drop to Xfce for a couple of days last week, the old-school
notifications were the only things I preferred). That sometimes-hidden,
erratically-triggered notification area *never* seems to do what I
actually want it to do. It shows up when I don't want it, it doesn't
show up when there's something on it I probably actually needed to see,
the icons on it fly around like space invaders and take two or hree
clicks to get rid of, transmission 'torrent completed' notifications
stack to the moon and back...it's just not nice.

I realize this isn't a very constructive mail, and the point has been
raised before, but I'm hoping at some point the sheer weight of
complaints will cause someone more creative than myself to actually come
up with a notification system for GNOME 3 which satisfies the GNOME
design team and *also* does not suck.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey