filesystem

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sat Feb 4 22:43:51 UTC 2012

On Fri, 3 Feb 2012 17:47:10 -0800
darrell pfeifer <darrellpf at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 17:15, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2012-02-03 at 16:27 -0800, darrell pfeifer wrote:
> > > As far as I've seen on the list, the /usr move stuff was supposed
> > > to be confined by tagging to f17-usermove so it wouldn't affect
> > > rawhide until the big switch was pulled.
> >
> > Yes. We just pulled the big switch. :)
> >

> The heads-up announcement that Harald did just over a week ago was a
> very good thing.
>
> From the smileys it seems there is a recognition that the change is a
> big deal.
>
> It would be nice if

let me preface by saying: "I agree with the points below" :)

> a) the date of the actual switch pulling had been announced in
> advance.

The hold up has been getting the rpm changes to the rhel6 rpm tested
sufficiently for rel-eng to be comfortable with deploying it on
builders/compose host. That happened friday. At that point the change
could be announced, but with branching happening tuesday, that would
result in almost no time before branching to try and fix things.

> b) the (now modified) instructions in basic form were
> re-iterated on the list.

This has happened now. see:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum#Fedora_16_-.3E_Fedora_17

> c) the switch was pulled at a time when the main people who made the
> change were available rather than known to be away at a conference

Again, this could have been the case, but then it would be even closer
to branch time. ;(

Speaking only for myself, I would have been very glad to punt this to
f18, but it's in now.

kevin