why is gurb-menu hidden as default?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Feb 6 17:11:34 UTC 2012

Am 06.02.2012 18:02, schrieb Jarosław Górny:
> Hi,
>
> Wiadomość napisana w dniu 2012-02-06, o godz. 17:55, przez Reindl Harald:
>>> in your arguments if you have any.
>>
>> why do you not read the arguments?
>>
>> * a new user does not know anything about the menu
>> * a new user fall into a boot problem after update
>

> If we are considering such a newbie user as you describe, I bet this user does not know if system update installed
> a new kernel or not. (S)he probably does not know what the kernel is.
> So, why do you assume, such a user, having grub menu *not* hidden, will guess, that in case of boot problem (s)he
> should try to boot another kernel?

because i learned it exactly this way long time ago
with FC3 after a machine did not boot and it was
absolutely logical for me what this boot-menu means
and even if not totally - if my machine does not boot
without interaction and i have a menu at startup i
would simply try the other option

and having this example from the centos-list does make it
very clear - this users question was explictly how to
boot with another kernel, so he found out somehow that
there is more than once and even then needed help!