Does anyone still need to create legacy HFS filesystems?

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Feb 6 22:06:05 UTC 2012

On Feb 6, 2012, at 5:30 AM, Joel Rees wrote:

> retro computing? Maintaining access to pre-historic data?

The only suggestion is dropping the ability to *create* HFS volumes using hfsplus-tools. Not dropping read support for existing HFS volumes.

> But, no, HFS isn't really dead. Old formats should not be allowed to
> die. I do want to be able to read my old media under emulation
> someday. Apple doesn't care, but I do.

HFS is about as dead as Espiranto. Those who really want to keep it alive need to put the effort into keeping it alive. As a long time Mac user, I don't expect someone else in the open source community to do this for me, so that I can have access to weird ancient junk. Migrating the data forward to new media and contemporary volume formats is the only sure way to have access to your data. That old media is oxidizing and eventually won't be readable even if you have something that understands HFS. I'd migrate it before it's too late.

Chris Murphy