[Guidelines Change] Changes to the Packaging Guidelines

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Tue Feb 7 13:51:24 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 09:55:03AM +0100, Marcela Mašláňová wrote:

> FHS is "vague" about this one, so the installation into /opt was
> forbidden. UsrMove was against FHS and it passed. I guess it need better
> explanation, then you gave us.

I know that this is a rehash of previous discussions, but it's a stretch
to claim that usrmove is against the FHS - the most you can really argue
is that there's a requirement for recovery tools to be in the root file
system, but given that there's also a statement that /boot contains
data used before the kernel starts executing user-space processes it's
clear that this predates the modern initramfs. It's explicitly permitted
that the mandated directories in / be symlinks.