/usrmove?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Feb 8 21:46:28 UTC 2012

> On Thu, 2012-02-09 at 03:07 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > On 02/09/2012 02:30 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> >  As far
> > > as things-that-are-actually-QA are concerned: we mostly go by the
> > > release validation process, and per the criteria, upgrades have to work
> > > by Beta, not Alpha. '
> >
> > Any particular reason for this?  I think it makes sense to ensure
> > upgrades work in an alpha release as well.
>
> We don't necessarily think so. I mean, Alpha is *alpha*. We don't want
> to set the bar too high. It's mainly meant to boot and run and let you
> test the features that have been implemented. If you look at the point
> of an Alpha, there isn't a whole lot of point in supporting upgrades to
> it. You're not meant to be running Alpha on a machine you actually
> *care* about (although I know some of us do, I'm typing this on one :>).
> You're meant to be installing Alpha on a disposable throwaway
> machine/partition/VM and testing specific things on it. Given that,
> upgrade isn't a particularly important thing to have working, because
> there's no reason to preserve a previous configuration (which after all
> is what an upgrade does).

As the release criteria put it -
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_17_Alpha_Release_Criteria:

"The objectives of the Alpha release are to:

    Publicly release installable media versions of a feature complete
test release
    Test accepted features of Fedora 17
    Identify as many F17Beta blocker bugs as possible
    Identify as many F17Blocker blocker bugs as possible"
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey