/usrmove?

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Fri Feb 10 11:59:27 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 10.02.2012 10:06, schrieb "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson":
>> The state of overall migration to systemd is depended on each package maintainer(s)
>> and at current rate that wont be finished until F20+.
>
> so fedora has STOPPED to be a distribution
>
> it is a bundle of packages which hopefully work together and nobody
> feels repsonsible for anything, things may happen or not or somewhere
> in a undefined fuuture
>
> the definition of a distribution is that all packages are comonig
> from one central source (repos) and are optimized to work together
> and not "everybody does like he feel and if things are not badly
> enough broken they will not be touched"

I quite agree this is (becoming?) a problem - but can you suggest a
workable solution?

What can FESCo practically do when tens of packagers simply ignore the
bugs filed against their components?

More importantly, what can FESCo practically do when a component has
an abrt bug open for 5 months, roughly 1 new reporter per day is
added, and the package owner has not done a single action in bugzilla?
[1]

If the answer is "kick the package out of the distribution", I'm sad
to say the distribution would have some glaring holes.

We really need to find a good solution for these cases, or Fedora
will, as you say, stop being a distribution.

So far, the best I idea can think of is to open up provenpackager
access much more, and make it much more acceptable to use it - but
that would bring problems of its own.
   Mirek

[1] Yes, this really exists.  Another similarly widely-reported bug
took 4 months to fix, and I've informally been told there are quite a
few such cases.  In both cases details withheld, fingerpointing won't
help answer the question above.