/usrmove?

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Fri Feb 10 13:09:35 UTC 2012

On 02/10/2012 07:07 AM, Josh Boyer wrote:

> That is the definition of a product.  Fedora has never been a product.
> Fedora is a community driven distribution and as such has no central
> or overriding authority to tell people that volunteer their time to go do
> some specific thing they don't feel like doing.

  True - however many of us look to fedora as the future RHEL as well.

> At best, FESCo can tell people no.  However, they'd have to know
> about something bad before it happened, and there are far too many
> packages to monitor in that fashion under today's setup.
>
> josh

  As a lowly user, there is the impression that creating a sense of
urgency late in the cycle and being loud and pushy are good ways to get
features in.

  Sadly, none of those adjectives imply good design or well written
software - only claims to same, oftentimes the truth is less so.

  While I do believe many of the features (as discussed here) have a lot
of merit, the way they are arriving in fedora (esp the last year or so)
is very disappointing.

  What can be done?

  (i) May I suggest new features require a review and comment period
with Fesco having the final say.

  Features that are 'core' - should require substantial review and
broader community engagement before being accepted.

  (ii) Limit major features to 1 per release is also crucial - if that
slows dev down too much, then switch to rolling release where testing
only allows major  feature at a time until that one is solid and moved
to production. Only then allow the next major feature into testing.

   I have watched with some dismay and sadness what is happening to
fedora. It can be great again ... however it needs work.

  gene