[fedora-java] Improvements Eclipse Installation

sami wagiaalla swagiaal at redhat.com
Wed Feb 15 15:31:24 UTC 2012

> I am going to hold off on this as I have run into an issue where bundles
> installed using and update site don't work with bundles installed using
> rpm if there is a bundle conflict between the two.
>
> I am investigating.

After looking into this I realized that we cannot move forward with the
reconciler solution.

The issue here is not the old issue of plugins not being installed
properly using eclipse's installation system p2, but having plugins
installed in two different locations each with it's own metadata. The
first location being system directories used by rpm such as
/usr/share/eclipse/ and the location used by the eclipse installation
system ~/.eclipse. When there is a conflict between the two location
eclipse simply picks the system installation resulting in the downloaded
plugin and all downloaded plugins to be dropped.

We are working on a better solution for this problem.

Thanks,
   Sami