F17 bootloader error(s)

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Feb 16 00:24:14 UTC 2012

On Feb 15, 2012, at 10:41 AM, Mike Chambers wrote:

> When trying to do test install against F17Alpha TC2, during partition
> layout, I get error below...
>
> "you have not created a bootloader stage1 target device"

anaconda-17.8-1.fc17.src.rpm
pyanaconda/storage/__init__.py

line 1250
                errors.append(_("you have not created a bootloader stage1 "
                                "target device"))

If this only occurs on GPT disks, which I'm pretty sure is true, then a more elucidative message would be:

                errors.append(_("You have not specified a BIOS Boot "
                                "partition."))

The current message is obscure, and consistently results in questions on forums.

For consistency, I suggest the following lines be changed:

line 1165 "You have not defined a root partition (/), "
"You have not specified a root partition (/), "

line 1259 "You have not created a bootable partition."
"You have not specified a bootable partition."

The four "you have not" partition related errors in this script would then read:

"You have not specified a swap partition.  "
"You have not specified a root partition (/), "
"You have not specified a BIOS boot partition "
"You have not specified a bootable partition."

Not sure where the "You have not specified an EFI System partition." is located...

Chris Murphy