/usrmove and path ordering

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Feb 16 12:27:27 UTC 2012

Am 16.02.2012 13:22, schrieb Jim Meyering:
> Reindl Harald wrote:
>> Am 15.02.2012 13:43, schrieb Martin Langhoff:
>>>
>>> You are wrong. The /usr move has a very clear impact in being able
>>> to snapshot your OS install partition. Add
>>> btrfs, yum hooks and the already-implemented "stateless"
>>> configuration and you have a really major feature: a fully
>>> upgrade/test/rollback setup for Fedora.
>>
>> only one out of a million installations have /usr seperated
>> from / and the default is NOT do this - so no there is no
>> impact on any normal setup
>
> Prior to F17, I've always put /usr on a partition separate from /.
>
>     $ df -hT / /usr
>     Filesystem     Type  Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>     /dev/sda4      ext4   11G  7.3G  3.2G  70% /
>     /dev/sda6      ext4   10G  7.3G  2.3G  77% /usr
>
> I know I'm special ;-), but *that* special?  I doubt it

with what benefit?

as said: it is and will be useless bomb the OS after a upgrade back
to a filesystem snapshot of /usr since the RPM-DATABASE will NOT
be restored, configurations in /etc will NOT be restored

so can anybody give me one single benefit of /usrmove?
sorry, regardless how often i read any article to this
topic all this benefits are theoretical and will not
work in the real life or not change anything for a user