F17 Slowness

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Feb 16 17:18:07 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-02-16 at 10:44 -0600, Mike Chambers wrote:
> Just seeing if it's just me, or we back to being slow again during
> testing with the debug options and the kernel?  Am on a F16 kernel and
> is little better than F17 3.3 kernels.

'back'? Debug-enabled kernels have been extremely slow since 3.0, at
least for me. There's never been a time when they've been usable.

F16 kernels do not have debugging enabled. F17 and Rawhide kernels
usually do, except the kernel team is now doing release builds for F17
and Rawhide every now and again, just to help out those of us for whom
debug builds are unusably slow. The kernel package changelog notes when
the Big Debug Switch is flipped in either direction.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey