Issues with yum

Sandro Mani manisandro at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 16:44:48 UTC 2012

On 02/27/2012 04:29 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 14:00:51 +0000,
>    Frank Murphy<frankly3d at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 27/02/12 13:52, elison.niven at gmail.com wrote:
>>> 4) Quit on single CTRL-C. Users expect an application to quit on
>>> pressing CTRL-C.
>>> Reason to have this feature : Better user experience
>> never used ctrl-c, normally use "killall yum"
>> if required.
> Control C works, but it needs to reach a break point. And once you start
> actually doing a transaction you don't normally want control C to work
> since it will leave your system in a state where manual cleanup is likely
> required.
One scenario which I often hit is forgetting to change the proxy
settings in yum.conf and then trying to update. Yum will clearly fail to
download repodata, but it will keep trying for all mirrors it knows.
Pressing ctrl+c there almost never works since yum only reacts to the
signal when it is sent exactely in the instant between when it gave up
downloading from one mirror due to timeout and beginning attempting to
download from the next.