Issues with yum

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Feb 28 04:21:49 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-02-27 at 15:04 +0100, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:

> > 2) yum is currently downloading repository information separately for
> > each user.
> > It can use the same downloaded repository information for all users.
> > For example : root did yum install <some-package> followed by
> > Non root user did : yum info <same-package>.
> > yum will currently fetch repo information again for the non root user.
> > Reason to have this feature : Save time, bandwidth.
>
> Wrong, information are cached in /var/lib/yum.

I don't know the technical background, but I certainly see the 'user
experience' side of the complaint. Running 'yum info foobar' as user on
my system takes much longer than running it as root. The logical
conclusion is root has access to some cache that my user doesn't.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey