Issues with yum

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Feb 28 07:09:19 UTC 2012

On Feb 27, 2012, at 9:28 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:

> On Mon, 2012-02-27 at 11:24 -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> On Feb 27, 2012, at 9:08 AM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>>
>>> I don't believe yum has a way to roll back transactions reliably.
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SystemRollbackWithBtrfs
>
> Yeah...you might want to remember the context of the conversation.
>
> I don't think you're *seriously* suggesting that hitting ctrl-c while
> using yum should result in a btrfs snapshot restoration, are you?

I'm agreeing with the assertion I quoted, but pointing out there is an option to gain rollback functionality. That's all.

I've never used control-c during a yum update. Too me, that seems like "Oh hell, I didn't mean to throw that cup of habaneros in my blueberry smoothie! Control-c?!" Even if they haven't been blended in yet, the smoothie is destroyed.

So no, I was not suggesting automatic rollback. However...

What's the expectation of a user hitting control-c in the middle of a yum update anyway? My first inclination is it makes zero sense, like habaneros in a smoothie. But if control-c means "stop here" as in "don't push the frappe button!" is that really as useful as "go back to start" as in "magically remove the habaneros?"

I'd pick a return to a known stable state, rather than being dropped in who knows what, where I'm probably going to have to install yum-utils and run yum-complete-transaction and who knows what. It'd probably work, that's what it's there for. Like picking each habanero and seed out of a blender with a fork?

Magic sounds better.

Chris Murphy