Add some information to Packaging cmake wiki

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 23:34:01 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 5:19 PM, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:
> Kevin Kofler wrote:
>
>> Richard Shaw wrote:
>>> I've noticed with several packages lately that frequently the wrong
>>> build flags are used or appened to the ones the cmake macro sets.
>>> Sometimes this can happen because the main cmake configuration file
>>> forces the type to "Release" (bad!) but not always.
>>>
>>> I've found that adding: "-DCMAKE_RELEASE_TYPE=RelWithDebinfo" often
>>> takes care of this.
>>
>> FYI, some packages use bad flags with RelWithDebinfo and good ones with
>> Release, some always use good flags, and some always use bad flags (and
>> have to be patched).

Hmm... I guess we shouldn't add it to the cmake macro then :) I
usually wait and see if there's a problem first and then try that as
the fix. I haven't had a situation where it gave me bad flags yet, but
I did have a package that hard coded "Release" with bad flags (-O3
etc..) so I had to patch around that one.

Richard