Torvalds:requiring root password for mundane things is moronic

Chris Evich cevich at redhat.com
Wed Feb 29 13:56:34 UTC 2012

On 02/29/2012 07:46 AM, Mark Bidewell wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 7:36 AM, Emanuel Rietveld<codehotter at gmail.com>wrote:

>>> Yeah but last time we tried this in fedora it got "flamefested" so we
>>> had to revert.
>>>

>> Perhaps a solution is adding a group with the needed permissions and make
>> it really easy to add an account to that group.
>>
>> --
>>

> +1 to this.  Many tasks should not require full root permissions to
> execute. Having a set of groups centered around tasks (install printers,
> install software, etc.)  would definitely make this simpler.  This method
> would also be arguably be more secure than sudo as processes don't run with
> root permission therefore root privileged cannot be gained by exploiting a
> program.   Another situation where having a group based security would be
> nice is access to privileged ports.  Try running JBoss as a non-root user
> on port 80.

Another +1 to the groups idea.  It would enable a simple convenience
feature as well:  When prompting a user for the root password to do
something the first time, include a check-box to add the user to the
proper group behind-the-scene (with a warning that user needs to
logout/login for change to be effective).  Maybe also include a simple
management program to enable/disable/display allowed functionality for
specific users based on descriptions (i.e. instead of group name - which
may be meaningless to a n00b).  Kind of like how android permissions
look, but with more of a management focus.