PSA: bad HP udev rules somehow break boot with systemd 38

Michal Schmidt mschmidt at redhat.com
Tue Jan 24 13:53:21 UTC 2012

On 01/23/2012 09:39 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>  systemd 37 didn't have a problem booting. I suppose the
> large number of errors slows udev start down so much that it hits some
> kind of timeout in 38 that isn't in 37, maybe?

v38 introduced the journal and removed the old systemd-kmsg-syslogd
bridge. As a side effect of the change, the ordering of syslog.socket to
the rest of the system is not quite correct now. If you're unlucky, you
will see journald blocking for extended periods of time until rsyslog
starts. And other processes (in your case: udev) will block on journald.
I noticed the SELinux relabeling process was affected by the same problem.
We have to fix that in systemd.

Michal