[kde, lxde, xfce] Removing ModemManager dep from NM, adding to comps instead

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Jan 26 20:54:09 UTC 2012

Hi,

It was recently brought to my attention that NM has an RPM dep on
ModemManager.  I believe we added it long ago to ensure that users did
not lose 3G modem support when updating from NM 0.7.x (where NM had
internal 3G support) to 0.8.x (where that support was split out into
MM).  These days there no hard dependency between NM <-> MM, only a
D-Bus API, and NetworkManager runs fine when MM is not installed
(thought it looses 3G support of course).

People who don't have 3G modems and know they wont in the future have no
need of installing or running MM.  Thus I'd like to remove the RPM dep
from NetworkManager, and instead add ModemManager to the default comps
installs of all the major desktop environments instead.  Thus base
system installs won't include ModemManager, but desktop installs would.
Most 3G users are likely desktop users as well.

Thoughts?  If there aren't any objections from the KDE, LXDE, or XFCE
folks I'll update comps as I describe here.

Dan