Fedora 17’s unified filesystem (/usr-move)

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Tue Jan 31 21:06:48 UTC 2012

Bill Nottingham (notting at redhat.com) said:
> >  Good to see everyone still doesn't read what I write.
> >
> >  As I said, rpm _does something_ to make the above work for -qf (the
> > above even works if you inside /cow ... as long as the /bin symlink
> > exists!).
> >  However, it _does not_ work, if you put the above in package
> > provides/requires and try to install them. Eg.
>
> It does, in some cases. Which makes it even more fun.

<example snipped>

Confirmed with a quick check - following of symlinks works for extrapolating
provides from the installed system. It does not work for extrapolating
provides from to-be-installed-in-the-same-transaction packages.

Hooray corner cases!

Bill ("obviously we should split everything into individual transactions")