prelink should not mess with running executables

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 22:46:18 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 2:00 PM, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> wrote:
> A means for authenticating a filesystem domain socket's peer. Receive the
> peer's credentials, then check /proc/pid/exe and /proc/self/exe. If they're
> same, the daemon is talking to another instance of itself.

The "same" in what sense?
I would naively assume you mean the "same" file location. Which I
would think prelink operation would still allow.

if you are doing something else...doesn't prelink's operation prove
that such a check is invalid and that you've made some erroneous
assumptions about what what "sameness" means?

Prelink results in an operational "peer" instance that does not
conform to your check. It's really seems like your check has some
baked in assumptions that are too narrow.

-jef