prelink should not mess with running executables

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Jul 16 12:49:43 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 08:46:06PM -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Chris Adams writes:
>
> >Once upon a time, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> said:
> >> I would expect that /proc/self/exe symlink gives the name of the running
> >> executable. I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation.
> >
> >There are lots of ways that can fail already; prelink is just one.
> >Running "yum update" can break it as well (not every process is
> >restarted in %post).
>
> Yes, but that can be controlled, by doing the right thing via all
> the rpm hooks.

I suspect there is still a small race window, even if you've got the
right %post hook.

Does it need to be the same executable?  Isn't it sufficient to check
that it's the same user (ie. using SO_PEERCRED):

http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=952805

Or perhaps something using SCM_RIGHTS/SCM_CREDENTIALS ...

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/