Introduction: Interested in becoming a packager for fis-gtm and vista

Garrett Holmstrom gholms at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jul 17 07:04:01 UTC 2012

On 2012-07-16 22:50, Clive Hills wrote:
> Coincidentally I was looking at gtm this weekend.
> One of the interesting points in re packaging it is that one must
> bootstrap gtm from an existing gtm using the providing source.
> I'm wondering a bit how that might be affected by the Fedora packaging
> guidelines?

You need to file a FPC ticket to get a one-time exception.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Exceptions says:

Some software (usually related to compilers or cross-compiler
environments) cannot be built without the use of a previous toolchain or
development environment (open source). If you have a package which meets
this criteria, contact the Fedora Packaging Committee for approval.
Please note that this exception, if granted, is limited to only the
initial build of the package. You may bootstrap this build with a
"bootstrap" pre-built binary, but after this is complete, you must
immediately increment Release, drop the "bootstrap" pre-built binary,
and build completely from source. Bootstrapped packages containing
pre-built "bootstrap" binaries must not be pushed as release packages or
updates under any circumstances. These packages should contain the
necessary logic to be built once bootstrapping is completed and the
prebuilt programs are no longer needed. This can be done like this:

# Set this to 0 after we've bootstrapped
%{!? with_bootstrap: %global bootstrap 1}

[...]

%if 0%{?with_bootstrap}
   # Do stuff involving the prebuilt files
%else