prelink should not mess with running executables

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue Jul 17 11:42:42 UTC 2012

Bryn M. Reeves writes:

> On 07/17/2012 12:01 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> > Andrew Haley writes:
> >> Yes, it's the pathname that started this process.  Yes, that pathname
> >> may point to file that no longer exists.  That's UNIX.
> >
> > No, that's Linux with prelink installed.
>
> And a number of other common configurations for e.g. a Fedora system set
> to automatically apply security updates in the background.

Except that those "configurations" have what's called "pre" and "post" RPM
scripts, have you heard of them?  … which can be used to reset the
application, so that it knows that it's been updated.

Is it really so difficult to see the difference, here?

If you tell me how an app can be notified that prelink is about to rewrite
it, then this would be a comparable situation. But it's not.