Ubuntu Unity has been ported to Fedora 17

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 18:16:29 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 9:01 AM, Jussi Lehtola
<jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 13:49:15 +0200
> Antonio Trande <anto.trande at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2012/7/19 Conan Kudo (ニール・ゴンパ) <ngompa13 at gmail.com>
>> > This morning, I woke up to the news that a group of developers have
>> > managed to successfully make Ubuntu's Unity Desktop work on Fedora
>> > 17[1]. What kind of work would be needed to get these people to be
>> > able to bring their work into the Fedora repository so that
>> > everyone can easily choose to use it without breaking stuff?
>> >
>> > [1]:
>> > http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/07/unity-desktop-available-for-fedora
>
> (clip)
>
>> This part worries me
>>
>> > But, and this needs to be noted, updating with this repo added
>> > *will* replace
>> > some core GNOME components with Unity-compatible versions.
>
> Lol, as if that isn't enough, looks like they ship their own version of
> GCC 4.6 as well in the repo...

It would be better to think of this as a starting point for porting
and to work out the packaging issue instead of an enduser consumable.
Porting Unity outside of Ubuntu is not going to be easy for anyone.
There's a reason why its not in Debian yet at all.

The contents of this particular repo are entirely unacceptable for
submission into mainline Fedora. And that's fine..its an experimental
repository.
If the people working inside the repo are serious about moving forward
further with the porting work and are interesting in getting the
packaging fixed so its compliant I'm willing to help them with package
reviews and recommendations on how to come into compliance with our
policies.

At a minimum they'll have to figure out how to deal with vendor
patchsets against the gnome packages. Either dropping the patches
entirely and relying on stock gnome as we ship it.. or forking the
gnome components and renaming them for Unity to require in such a way
that a system can have both the unity stack and the gnome stack
installed in parallel without conflict.

-jef