Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2012-07-23)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Jul 24 16:35:36 UTC 2012

Josh Boyer wrote:
> * #908 F18 Feature: Fontconfig Enable Autohinting -  (jwb, 18:03:02)
> * LINK:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/FontconfigEnableAutohinting
> (jwb, 18:03:03)
> * AGREED: feature Fontconfig Enable Autohinting is approved  (+:9, -:0
> , 0:0)  (jwb, 18:06:07)

I don't understand this feature at all! Freetype already uses auto-hinting
for fonts which do not provide hinting data, in fact that was one of the
prerequisites for enabling the bytecode interpreter in Fedora, and I cherry-
picked the relevant change from the huge Infinality patchset and got it
upstreamed. Forcing auto-hinting for all fonts effectively means disabling
the bytecode interpreter by default, which is surely not a good idea.

        Kevin Kofler