Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2012-07-23)

Akira TAGOH tagoh at redhat.com
Wed Jul 25 09:27:28 UTC 2012

----- 元のメッセージ -----
| On 07/24/2012 11:35 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
| > I don't understand this feature at all! Freetype already uses
| > auto-hinting
| > for fonts which do not provide hinting data, in fact that was one
| > of the
| > prerequisites for enabling the bytecode interpreter in Fedora, and
| > I cherry-
| > picked the relevant change from the huge Infinality patchset and
| > got it
| > upstreamed. Forcing auto-hinting for all fonts effectively means
| > disabling
| > the bytecode interpreter by default, which is surely not a good
| > idea.
|
| It also turns every font into a blurry mess. This is not a subjective
| opinion. Run the listed command on the Feature Page for DejaVu and
| Liberation fonts (two of the biggest free fonts). With the current
| free-type environment you have crisp, clean fonts. Enable
| auto-hinting
| and every character becomes blurred including a simple exclamation
| mark
| that is a single line of pixels.

I admit simply enabling force-auto-hinting isn't enough. we definitely need to optimize a lot to make it more better. in fact there are the case auto-hinting gives much better than BCI-hinting. that may implies there may be more cases to be improved. as you guys are looking at your monitor daily-basis, if something goes wrong, it's easy to realize what's improved and what's worse. isn't this feature a good idea to get such feedback?

If there are any commonly applicable rules, it should be done in the system wide way, I mean in fontconfig. otherwise need to do it in the specific way, in the fonts packages.