Ubuntu Unity has been ported to Fedora 17

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Jul 25 20:58:50 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-07-24 at 14:13 -0300, Evandro Giovanini wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> > Olav Vitters wrote:
> >> I thought the work that went into GTK+ 3.4 (GMenu) should allow Unity to
> >> use that functionality instead of any patches. Not 100% sure on this. It
> >> does require that GTK+ applications make use of GMenu (and only a few
> >> do). Usually when GMenu support is added you see some new entries under
> >> the application icon (next to Activities).
> >
> > Ugh, why a new backwards-incompatible API instead of supporting this feature
> > required for cross-desktop interoperability in the existing one? :-( In
> > addition, the new API is designed to only export a single menu with a subset
> > of the full one, which may work for Unity, but NOT for Mac-style menus such
> > as the "global menu bar" widget available for KDE Plasma. Why reject a
> > complete solution in favor of a crippled one? :-(
> >

> The menu integrates just fine under GNOME, Mac OS X and XFCE. I don't
> see why it wouldn't work on KDE as well.
>
> Please look at http://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/3.3/GtkApplication.html
> to answer your questions.

AIUI, the problem is that the GTK+ API is designed only to handle the
GNOME design where any app has a _single_ 'universal' menu. You can't
put File, Edit, View, Tools, Help... menus into the Shell panel with it;
you can only get a single menu (the one with the app's name and icon,
next to Activities). This is the design GNOME wants. But Kevin's saying
you can't use it to implement something like OS X-style global menus,
where you have a full traditional menu bar that lives in the panel
rather than the app window.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey