Debugging Fedora UEFI boot problems on Intel DQ77MK

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Thu Jul 26 17:59:20 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 01:17:58PM -0400, Peter Jones wrote:
> On 07/26/2012 06:32 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> >UEFI boot fails with all of the listed operating systems. Symptoms:
> >
> >- I get the Fedora/RHEL EFI boot menu, and I let it boot with the default
> >options.
> >- I get text on the screen about allocating memory pages for Linux-EFI,
> >- The screen goes empty/black, there's only a cursor blinking, and nothing
> >happens..
> >- The boot failed or is stuck with nothing happening. I need to reset the
> >box.
> >
> >It looks like Linux kernel doesn't get  started at all.. so it could be a UEFI
> >firmware or a bootloader problem.
> >
> >I'm actually expecting this is an Intel BIOS/UEFI firmware bug, because I've
> >seen reports about UEFI boot problems on other Intel 7-series chipset
> >as well.
> >
> >Does anyone know how to debug/troubleshoot UEFI boot problems?
>
> The fact that the cursor is blinking is a bit strange; if grub has attempted
> to boot the kernel, that's unexpected.  Nevertheless, one thing to try is
> to add "noefi" to the kernel command line.  If it gets farther, that's an
> indication that we're hitting a kernel bug.

"noefi" kernel cmdline option didn't help unfortunately.

When booting Fedora 17 x64 there's the GRUB bootloader with graphical background image,
I let it boot the default entry "Fedora 17", I see it the allocating memory pages, loading VMLINUZ etc,
and then the display mode / resolution changes, and then there's just blank screen and a cursor blinking..

Does that ring any bells?

I forgot to mention earlier that fedora/rhel works OK using legacy BIOS boot,
so only UEFI is problematic on this box.

I'm pretty sure this is a Intel firmware bug, but it'd be nice to be able to confirm that somehow..

Thanks for the reply!

-- Pasi