[HEADS-UP] Rawhide: /tmp is now on tmpfs

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri Jun 1 13:56:12 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 09:27:03AM -0400, Brian Wheeler wrote:
> The wiki page lists the features as:
[...]
> * /tmp is automatically flushed at boot.
> It seems like adding an rm to the startup sequence would do this with less
> surprises.

Wait, hold on a sec. Again, not necessarily a problem but we should be clear
on this. With /tmp in RAM, it's not flushed at _boot_, but at _shutdown_
(clean or not). That may be detrimental to fixing problems (like surprise
reboots). The benefit may be worth that downside but we should at least
document the distinction.

I'm going edit the wiki but I'm not sure what exact wording should be. I
guess the *benefit* is "clean /tmp on boot" and discussion of the
implication should be elsewhere -- the user experience section, I think.

> The page says the user experience should barely change -- which I think is
> really downplaying the scope of this change.

Right. I made some edits there.

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>