*countable infinities only

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Jun 3 10:19:34 UTC 2012

Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> The goal you've set—Fedora working out of the box on this hardware
> without user fuss—can't be accomplished via technical means, except by
> restricting the bootloader and kernel.  There is no law of nature
> which says that this must be your goal, however.

There's at least theoretically another technical means: exploiting firmware
bugs to bypass the signature requirements. Of course, it is probably not
practical because there will be several different firmware implementations
and because the firmware vendors will be fixing bugs which get exploited.
But it is definitely possible (assuming such bugs can be found).

Would it be legal? I think it would. I don't see under what law it would be
illegal. "Secure" Boot is NOT a copy protection mechanism, so I don't see
how the DMCA would apply here.

        Kevin Kofler