another upgrade, another disaster

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Jun 4 06:46:37 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-06-03 at 11:00 +0200, Alexander Boström wrote:
> fre 2012-06-01 klockan 09:48 -0700 skrev Adam Williamson:
>
> > Frankly, I'd prefer it if we more strongly recommended that people do
> > DVD/netinst upgrades. That path is less complex than preupgrade and
> > involves fewer moving parts; it's easier to test and easier to fix and
> > more likely, in general, to be working at any given point.
>
> Please no. Once Fedora is installed it really ought to be able to
> upgrade itself without needing new boot media twice a year, that's just
> not user friendly. It's also much safer to first download everything and
> then start the RPM transaction. (IIUC a normal Anaconda upgrade will
> download packages during the upgrade.)

You state an aspiration, I state my advice based on practical
experience. Your aspiration would be nice, sure. It doesn't accurately
match reality at present. I'm happy advising experienced users who don't
mind a bit of poking about to use yum to keep upgrading ad infinitum. I
would not recommend it to all users, though, or say it was our
supported-and-most-likely-to-work upgrade mechanism. And my most
important point, anyway, is that DVD/netinst upgrade is, practically
speaking, generally more reliable than preupgrade, in recent history.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey