Fedora ARM and SecureBoot

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Jun 8 15:55:14 UTC 2012

On Jun 8, 2012, at 6:47 AM, Gerry Reno wrote:

> And I expect this idea of preventing other OS's from being installed on Win8 ARM hardware will not fly in the EU.  It's
> anti-competitive.

There's no such prevention. It's just that by voluntary agreement some ARM hardware is being manufactured with Secure Boot enabled and disabling it isn't possible. To use other OS's requires they be capable of supporting Secure Boot, on such hardware. That doesn't seem to be anti-competitive at all.

> In fact, the whole concept of preventing dual-booting, and requiring x86 hardware to come with Secure Boot enabled by default probably won't fly either.
>
> That too is anti-competitive.

There is no such concept preventing dual-booting. There is no requirement for UEFI hardware to come with SB enabled by default, outside of a voluntary agreement reached between hardware vendor and Microsoft in exchange for a specific marketing label.

Chris Murphy