*countable infinities only

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Mon Jun 11 17:18:07 UTC 2012

On 06/11/2012 09:56 AM, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> On 06/11/2012 04:11 PM, Scott Schmit wrote:

>> Right now, we're missing the "clear instructions" part.
>
> Of course we are missing that part *now*, there is no motherboard with
> UEFI and Secure Boot in the wild so we can take screenshots and publish
> them.

Such instructions for BIOS would say "Turn the computer on and start
hitting the F2 key. If this doesn't work, try the Del key, or maybe some
other key that may or may not be mentioned briefly in a flashing message
right after the power comes up. Tap the key fast enough but not too
fast. If you hear beeping, you've been too fast---force the power off
and start tapping the keys a little slower. If you see the blue screen
(but it may be white, or green) see if you can find the menu option
'Boot' (but it also may be 'Security' or 'Options' or something else).
Use arrow keys or tabs, or space, or mouse clicks to select it".

There is no reason to believe that the UEFI instructions can be much
better than those. For some reason, OEMs think that firmware
customization is a value-adding, distinguishing feature, and go to town
on it. I have already seen a 3D UEFI interface on one of the new boards.