*countable infinities only

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Tue Jun 12 19:16:52 UTC 2012

On 06/12/2012 01:46 PM, Denis Arnaud wrote:
> Though most of you already certainly know about it, Linus Torvalds has
> expressed his point of view about that story:
> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/linus-torvalds-on-windows-8-uefi-and-fedora/11187

Yes, though he's wrong on some facts.  Not least, the number of keys that
have stayed private is all of them.  But if you take that as him not knowing
the process, which is reasonable, and assume that he instead means "how many
legitimate keys have been used to sign malware", the answer so far seems to be
in the range of "somewhere near three".  And the keys we're talking about
are everything in winqual, which I'm told (and back of envelope estimates
would seem to support) is on the order of ten thousand vendors.

Aside Linus being incorrect, the rest of the article is also full of incorrect
information and supposition. With this in mind, I wish you wouldn't link a
presss articles which are filled with incorrect information and rumors. These
people get paid based on the number of times the link gets clicked, and
circulating their urls directly incentivises the production of this shoddy
excuse for journalism.

--
        Peter