Schedule for Monday's FESCo Meeting (2012-06-18)

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 11:22:16 UTC 2012

On 18 June 2012 12:03, Benny Amorsen <benny+usenet at amorsen.dk> wrote:
> Why testing the daemons? Any daemon which cannot be restarted by
> systemctl restart foo.daemon is broken already.

Try booting a few VMs and then doing "systemctl restart
libvirtd.daemon" -- libvirtd restarts okay (hopefully) but all the
clients are disconnected and all the VMs are no longer running.
Restarting a daemon really means "pause, dump all
in-process-stuff-to-disk, exit-cleaning-up,
load-and-detect-saved-state-and-convert-if-required, un-pause" --
that's a different thing entirely to "reload".

> Requiring a log out is ok IMHO, if there are processes in the session
> still having the old library mapped after the upgrade. If there are
> processes which are neither daemons nor part of a session, we should
> probably have a good look at why.

Although I agree with your last statement, if you have more than one
user logged in (or use fast-user-switching), the premise of a session
re-login allowing all the open applications to relink against new
library versions breaks down.

Richard.