Schedule for Monday's FESCo Meeting (2012-06-18)

Jared K. Smith jsmith at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jun 18 14:27:11 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 7:38 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
> if this is what you call "development" then YES we should
> stop development now until we have ideas for real
> improvements instead wasting time by making steps backward

Language like this isn't helpful.  Might I suggest that if you're
going to make comments like this, you back them up with technical
details on how to improve the situation?

Early in my career (when I was still doing electrical engineering),
the company I was working for was big on technical design reviews".
Essentially, any time you designed something, you'd get your work
reviewed by a room full of engineers.  The rule was that you could
criticize any part of someone else's review, but if you did, you had
to offer a better *realistic* alternative, and be willing to take over
the design of the alternative.  While I'm not suggesting we get the
formal in Fedora, I am growing increasingly tired of people saying
"You're doing it wrong" without offering technical details on how to
come up with realistic alternatives.

Also please note that I'm not just picking on you here -- your
comments just happened to trigger me into taking the time to write
something I've been thinking about for a while.

--
Jared Smith