*countable infinities only

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 17:12:12 UTC 2012

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 11:14:11 -0400 (EDT), you wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Jun 2012, Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org> wrote:
>
>> > On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 12:56:54AM -0400, Jay Sulzberger wrote:
>> >
>> > We just need hardware we can install Fedora on, as once we did,
>> > without asking Microsoft for permission.
>>
>> System76 have committed to providing hardware without pre-enabled secure
>> boot.
>>
>> --
>> Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
>
>Matthew, I am delighted to hear this.
>
>Note that this contradicts the claim, made more than once in
>this thread, that such an arrangement is, in practice, impossible.

No one said it was impossible.

What was said was the big outfits, who rely on selling hardware in big
volumes, will ship with secure boot enabled.  Dell, HP, Asus, Acer,
etc all rely on the Windows market to stay in business and thus cannot
ship with secure boot disabled.

But also note that is the ability to disable secure boot that
Fedora/Red Hat got from Microsoft that will allow small builders like
System76 to ship systems without it enabled.