Fwd: Filtering question

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 09:18:27 UTC 2012

I raised this issue on rpmfusion-devel. However, I think it's general
enough to seek advice also here on fedora-devel. since it's really about
how to understand the filtering guidelines.

Hi!

I'm reviewing a package 2300  which at a glance seems to need filtering:
it both Requires: and Provides: it's internal plugin libraries, many of
which with generic names likely to clash with other packages symbols.

But when I look at the guidelines at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:AutoProvidesAndRequiresFiltering, they
seem to be contradictory:
  - One one hand, a package "Must not export RPM dependency information
which is not global in nature..." e. g., plugins.
  - On the other, a package which have binaries in PATH and/or system
libraries must not use filtering; this applies also to sub-packages.

2300 is, at present, a package with binaries in $PATH (can't use
filtering) providing and requiring it's own plugins (must be filtered).
What should we do?

Split into two independent packages built from same source?

Thoughts?

--alec