service restart question

Gary Kotton gkotton at redhat.com
Mon Jun 25 13:57:05 UTC 2012

Hi,

I recently encountered a problem with the Openstack Quantum service. The
service was installed by doing the following steps:
     - sudo yum install openstack-quantum
     - sudo systemctl enable quantum-server.service
     - sudo systemctl start quantum-server.service
Due to a bug the service terminated.

The contents of the file
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/quantum-server.service is below:
[Unit]
Description=OpenStack Quantum Server
After=syslog.target network.target

[Service]
Type=simple
User=quantum
ExecStart=/usr/bin/quantum-server --config-file
/etc/quantum/quantum.conf --log-file /var/log/quantum/server.log
PrivateTmp=true

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

My understanding is that if there is a entry in the "Service" section
"Restart=always", then we can rely on systemd to restart the service if
it dies.

Can someone please explain or clarify why this is not the default value?
I can understand that this should not be set if there is another
"watcher" process that can restart a failed service.

Thanks in advance
Gary