Automating the NonResponsiveMaintainers policy

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Mar 2 16:35:47 UTC 2012

Am 02.03.2012 17:20, schrieb Karel Zak:
> On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 01:09:00PM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> you are missing the differences between "ignored", "assigend" and "fixed"
>> where did you see a line that a bug must be fixed in whatever time?
>> you did not because it is not there
>>
>> the point is that if a reporter takes time to file a bugreport
>> he can expect any response - this response may be change status
>
>  It seems that you expect professional support service from
>  volunteers. Please, use an enterprise Linux distro if you have such
>  expectations. I have no clue why we should guarantee you any response
>  time.

i expect only the same i do since years for all things

if i take resposibility i answer requests or do not take over resposibility
paid and not is irrelevant here

this has NOTHING to do with enterprise
do you pay the reporter for his time?
no? so do not spit in his face by ignore him!

there are people contributing with their time writing a
bugreport - this is in the interest of ALL

>> from "new" to "assigend" even without any comment
>
>  For example I usually use "assigned" only if I'm sure that the report
>  is real issue and I'm able to fix it.

for the example if you make a single comment "thank you for your report,
i am currently busy.... whatever phrase" you will not fall from your
throne and give the reporter a nice and acceptable feedback

>  Freedom is about responsibility. I believe that Fedora maintainers
>  love freedom. The idea that responsibility is possible to replaced
>  with bureaucracy, processes and meetings is old, unoriginal and
>  wrong

responsibility is the right word but missing in fedora often
everybody is free to do everything or nothing
i agree this is good - but it does not work in the real world
because this needs people showing responsibility in the way
how tey are acting and not only using the word

it does simply not matter if someoney doing things for free
or for money - if someone does for money i would even understand
the no-response-attitude, if someone says he do things because he
likes them no understanding for this

one point of responsibility is taking some seconds of your
time to give ANY response after people spent time and
decided try to help making things better or they will
sooner or later deicde no longer waste their time!