Automating the NonResponsiveMaintainers policy

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri Mar 2 19:34:12 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 13:53:55 -0500
Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:

> Karel Zak (kzak at redhat.com) said:
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Policy_for_nonresponsive_package_maintainers
> >
> >  * After 2 attempts of no contact, the reporter asks if anyone
> > knows how to contact the maintainer.
> >
> >  * After another 7 days, the reporter posts a formal request to the
> >    fedora-devel list with the bug link.
> >
> >  * If at least one FESCo member approves the takeover and no one
> > objects within 3 days, the requester may take over the package.
>
> So, trying to get some progress here, I see two issues:
>
> 1) It's all manual.
>
> Ideally, there would be a way to pull this information, rather than
> relying on manual pokes and collecting the results of said pokes,
> even if we didn't change the policy at all.
>
> 2) It doesn't solve the problem of a non-responsive maintainer where
> the requester *DOESN'T* want to take over the package.
>
> For example, just because I might have a an issue getting a needed
> change into glibc doesn't mean I would want take over glibc. Of
> course, without a willing maintainer to take over in this case,
> you're still stuck.

Related to this, Pierre-YvesChibon wrote a tool to check a bunch of
things for a fedora account, so you could at least see if someone was
still active in some areas while not in others:

https://github.com/pypingou/fedora-active-user

If you are running into no reply from a bug, you could run this and see
if the maintainer has been active in other areas, or just appears to be
gone. Might help before determining if you should start the inactive
process.

kevin