User session printing

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Mon Mar 5 12:55:25 UTC 2012

(changing the subject line since this is a bit different from the
original topic)

On Sun, 2012-03-04 at 00:22 +0100, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> Another way to look at this issue is - if printers were maintained
> per-user (per-user, unprivileged cups daemon, per-user configuration,
> per-user print queue), there would be no reason to ask for
> authentication.  Given that printers are so often networked nowadays
> and no access to hardware is required, we might even be able to avoid
> running the system-wide cups daemon at all in some cases.  There would
> be one less process running as root, no reason to authenticate, an
> increase both in security and ease of use.
[...]
> Would something like this at all possible to do with cups and the
> current printing design and protocols?

For things like cloud printing, where the print server is a hosted
service somewhere out in the Internet, I think the applications should
be talking directly to it (via the print dialog).

For a plain network printer, where the printer might not be able to
accept the job while it's busy processing others, you might have to
queue the job and retry it later.  So if you are doing that as a user
process, how should that work when you log out, and when the machine is
restarted?

Another issue is that the LPD printer protocol requires the client to
connect from a privileged port, so it won't work for that without some
extra hoops.

Tim.
*/