phoronix benchmarks ext4 vs. btrfs

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Mar 7 22:14:31 UTC 2012

On Mar 7, 2012, at 3:01 PM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> Yes, such a feature was submitted[1], but it has never been committed by Chris AFAIK. There is also a OS-agnostic method of this. Seagate XT drives use a small SSD as a cache. Then there is also a Windows method with Intel's SSD Cache using a dedicated SSD as only a cache. Either way gives you a similar result.

I think I'd rather see a portion of the SSD be a discrete device so that the system and application scratch/swap can be pointed to it - rather than as cache. I'm not sure that this data would always stay hot enough to be assured of being in an SSD cache, whereas a discretely defined device would.

Chris Murphy